Panelite’s ClearShade Used To Illuminate The Parrish Art Museum
Panelite ClearShade skylight glazing was specified by architects Herzog & de Meuron and daylighting engineers ARUP to achieve their goal of providing a naturally daylight environment, similar to that of artists’ studios, for viewing the collection at the Parrish Art Museum in Water Mill, New York. Since most of the galleries’ illuminance comes from skylights, electric light usage is minimized, substantial energy savings are achieved and user experience is enhanced. Both energy savings and user experience were quantified by the Lighting Research Center (LRC) team in their DELTA (Demonstration and Evaluation of Lighting Technologies and Applications / Lighting Case Studies) publication.
ClearShade honeycomb glazing technology is suitable for facades, clerestories, and skylights, allowing architects, engineers and building owners to meet daylighting, energy efficiency, user comfort and aesthetic goals in a single product.
- The design team at Herzog & de Meuron used skylights to illuminate the art with natural light, similar to the light quality of an artists’ studio.
- Two types of skylights were used. On the north slope of the roof, ClearShade honeycomb glazing units were installed to diffuse and optimize daylight, while allowing for partial views of the sky. On the south slope, conventional translucent skylights with neutral density film were used.
- Fluorescent strip lights were installed to amplify ambient lighting as necessary.
- 81% of the time the museum was open in spring, electric lights were not needed. The remainder of the time electric lights were dimmed from full output. Compared to the museum’s allowable power density, the skylights and use of lighting controls saved 89% in lighting energy.
- Energy savings also resulted in reduced air pollution: 4.6 lbs of SO2, 5.2 lbs of NOx, and 6,219 lbs of CO2.
- 73% of visitors considered the illumination of the Parrish galleries to be better than other museums.
Architect: Herzog & de Meuron
Daylight Engineers: ARUP
Installer: Westhampton Glass
Location: Water Mill, NY
Panelite Products: ClearShade IGU / CS-TTW10-1020-2100Outboard Lite: 1/4″ Clear Tempered, Sungate 500 #2Airspace: 1/2″ with ClearShade TTW10, TrueWhite 10mm diameterInboard Lite: 3/16″ HS Starphire + 0.075 Vanceva Storm PVB + 3/16″ HS Starphire
Photography: Matthu Placek, above left; Iwan Baan, above right